HHS BYOD Procedures 2021
At Hillmorton students are expected to bring their own internet capable devices to school fully charged and ready to use, every day. We use Google Applications for Education and these tools, along with our Hapara Teacher Dashboard and other learning software packages, allow staff to enhance the learning for all students.
We firmly believe the best approach to learning is a blended approach, where the primary focus is on the learning rather than the tools used to deliver it. Blended learning draws from many teaching styles such as group work, discussion and presentation and digital tools support this rich learning environment through collaboration, feedback and access to varied media.
In all subjects, classes will be conducted using either Hapara, Google Classroom or other online tools. So, it is essential for your child to have a device suitable for the modern classroom.
If you feel that you would be unable to provide a suitable device for your child, please contact the school as early as possible. There are a number of options available to ensure all students have a device everyday.
We have identified that a Chromebook is a great device for all students at Hillmorton High School. Chromebooks are a reasonable cost, have a fast start up time, all day battery life, work both offline and online, have consistent performance over lifetime of the device and are not susceptible to viruses or malware. They integrate with Google Apps for Education which is our main learning platform.
Make sure your Chromebook has a protective case to protect it from accidental damage.
Insurance – Damage to your child’s Chromebook or other device will never be covered by Hillmorton High School. A Chromebook is often priced below the cost of your insurance excess, so you should take advantage of some of the extended warranty / Insurance offers from our retail partners.
Purchasing a Chromebook:
Chromebooks may be purchased from any store but Cyclone computers are the school’s preferred provider.
- Families wanting to purchase through Cyclone can purchase in two ways:
- Payment plan:
- This is at a very low rate
- No credit check is required
- Please contact the office for more details
- We have some Chromebooks available to purchase direct from school, priced at $100. These are second hand devices that are roughly 3-4 years old. The cost can be added to your child’s account and can be paid off over time.
- WINZ –
- Chromebooks can also be financed through WINZ for families on lower incomes. You do not need to be a WINZ client and we understand that no interest is charged. You don’t have to be on a benefit to qualify for this help, you will have to pay the money back.
- More information can be found at this location
Specifications – Chromebooks come in several different configurations, The specifications that will make your Chromebook a little faster and more usable are RAM (2Gb or 4Gb) Storage (16Gb, 32Gb or more) and processor and speed (opt for intel and 4 rather than 2 cores) . Screen sizes and Wi-Fi specs are quite consistent across different models and the better ones will cost a little more.
Refurbished Chromebooks – Are Chromebooks that have been leased to an organization, that lease has ended and the devices are returned to the supplier they are wiped, refurbished, tested and the sold at a much reduced price typically under $300 with a 12 month warranty. The device may have some wear marks. But will perform the same as a new Chromebook.
Note: If you already have a Chromebook : Please make sure that it has been removed from your previous schools’ “Google Management Console” as we cannot do this for you. You will not be able to use the Chromebook at Hillmorton High until this has been done.
Google management Console
Optionally, parents can request that their child’s Chromebook is added to the Google Management Console. The benefits for being connected to GMC are as follows:
- Gives Parents better assurance for their child’s safety while using their chromebooks.
- Filters / Blocks inappropriate material
- Blocks certain apps and extensions from being loaded
- Ability to disable chromebook if
- Swapped with another student’s device
Some limitations at present for being connected to GMC are as follows:
- GMC filtering service still filters internet at home on this device (safe search)
- Students are restricted to using only their school logon on this device, however they are able to open another tab within the chrome browser and log into any email address and access social media such as Facebook.
Internet Safety at Hillmorton High School
- All students must read and sign our school cyber safety user agreement, which you can read on our website.
- Internet use is filtered by N4L (Network for Learning) and logs are made of all use.
- Social Media is blocked by our filtering procedures.
- The use of VPN and proxy software to bypass filtering will result in automatic removal from the network.
- Each student has an individual password for their account, this password should never be shared.
Internet Safety at Home
- Netsafe http://www.netsafe.org.nz is the best place for information and resources for internet safety at home.
- You could make the house rule that devices are used in the living space where screens can be seen.
- Contact your internet provider to ask about a router with internet filtering.
- You can manage the control of the Chromebook as the parent. By doing this you can allow access to specific people only.
- Please be aware there are several considerations that you need to make when purchasing a device:
- Touch Screen
- Chromebook Processor Speed
- Management Console
- How a Parent Can Make a Chromebook Safer at Home
- Choosing a Chromebook Bundle